How Do You Prepare Outdoor Furniture For Winter?
Prepare outdoor furniture for winter by giving it a good cleaning. Use dish soap and water for wicker, iron, or plastic furniture, or a wood furniture cleaner on wood. Once your furniture is clean, choose a protective cover that properly fits your furniture piece. Finally, you’ll need to find the right outdoor furniture storage space. Some furniture can be stored outdoors during the winter, while other furniture will do best stored in a garage or shed.
How to Winterize Outdoor Furniture & Protect it from Snow
As the temperatures begin to drop and the trees start shedding their leaves, it’s time to start preparing for winter. Regardless of the materials your outdoor furniture was crafted from—whether it be wood, wicker, metal, or plastic—it’s important that you store your patio set in a dry place where the snow can’t get to it. Leaving your furniture out in the snow all winter is a surefire way to ruin it.
Before retiring your patio set for the winter, use these tips to make sure you store it effectively.
- Check the storage area for potential leaks and flaws in the structure that might allow rodents or water to get inside.
- Wrap any glass pieces in blankets and/or towels to keep them from getting too cold and shattering when you bring them back out the following season.
- Apply a water-repellent finish to reinforce furniture and protect it from any moisture that might find its way into the storage space.
- Eradicate any signs of rust on your metal furniture or its components before putting it away for the next few months.
- Fix any cracks you find in plastic furniture—however minor— or the cracks will likely spread until they’re too large to repair.
- Use high-quality outdoor furniture winter covers for extra protection.
What Type of Outdoor Furniture is the Most Durable?
Your outdoor furniture will have to stand up to the sun’s strong rays in the summer, and elements like rain and snow in the winter. Choose a durable material to ensure your furniture can endure the wear and tear. If you want wood furniture, teak, eucalyptus, or cedar is a great choice that can face any weather. Popular and durable synthetic fabrics include plastic and synthetic resin wicker. Aluminum and steel are other common outdoor furniture materials that are lightweight and won’t mold or deteriorate over time.
Can I Leave My Patio Furniture Outside in the Winter?
Wondering how to protect patio furniture during the winter months? The answer depends on the type of material your furniture is made of. Durable wood like teak can stay outside all year long, but it’s best to apply a sealant at least once a year if you want the wood to keep its original color.
Synthetic wicker can also stay outside all year. However, natural rattan or wicker should be stored in a dry space during the winter months to avoid damage.
Metal and plastic should also be stored in a shed or garage during the winter if you want to keep it in good shape. These materials are susceptible to rust or mold if left in wet conditions for a long period.
What Are the Best Outdoor Furniture Brands?
Choose a high-quality outdoor furniture brand if you want your pieces to stand the test of time. High-end outdoor furniture companies use the finest materials and sound construction, so your furniture won’t crack or fade in just a few months.
How Do You Store Outdoor Furniture Cushions?
If you own a fabric outdoor couch or chair, you may have cushions that need to be stored away for the winter. Start out by cleaning your cushions with a hose and letting them completely dry before attempting to store. Do not skip this step — cushions that are even slightly moist can produce mold and will be ruined.
Cushions will last longer when stored in a clean, dry area, such as a shed, basement, or garage. Place cushions in large plastic bags to keep them protected when they’re not in use. You can buy outdoor cushion storage bags or use a large trash bag. Just make sure the bag is sealed tightly!
Does Outdoor Furniture Need To Be Covered?
Outdoor furniture covers are always a good idea, no matter which type of furniture you own. Covering outdoor furniture will make it last longer and preserve the look and color of your furniture pieces. It’s important to find a furniture cover that fits properly so your furniture is protected from snow, wind, and rain. Though furniture covers do require upfront costs, you’ll save money in the long run by enjoying your outdoor furniture for many years to come.
How Do You Maintain Outdoor Furniture?
No matter the season, it’s important to care and maintain your outdoor furniture. Proper upkeep will prolong the life of your furniture so you can keep it for much longer than if you never gave the furniture a second thought. Here are a few tips for maintaining outdoor furniture:
- Clean furniture once a month, using a dish soap and water mixture or special furniture cleaner.
- Don’t let mold or mildew spread. Clean it off as soon as you spot it, using a glove and wet rag.
- Apply stains and sealants to wood furniture every 1-3 years to maintain the vibrant color and shine.
- Let the furniture dry completely in the sun after every cleaning.
- Cover and store furniture when not in use.
How to protect outdoor furniture and cushions from rain
Unlike snow, frequent rainstorms don’t dominate an entire season, which makes them less predictable. In order to protect your outdoor furniture set from getting caught in a rainstorm, you have two options:
- You can constantly monitor your local weather reports and move your furniture indoors at every slight chance of incoming rain.
- You can keep your furniture protected whenever you’re not using it with durable outdoor furniture protection.
To make your life easier, we encourage you to protect your furniture with covers. Protect your investment with the best outdoor furniture protection made from durable materials and designed to provide sufficient ventilation and a water-resistant barrier.
If your furniture is made from metal or plastic, then you’ll need water-proof covers to prevent cracks and rust. If your patio set is largely comprised of wood or wicker, then covers with optimal ventilation will help to prevent mold and mildew.
How to Protect Outdoor Cushions From Sun Damage
All too often, consumers focus on how to protect outdoor furniture from the weather, but they don’t even consider the harmful effects of the sun. Protect your furniture from fading and sun damage by keeping it in a shaded area, adding shade wherever necessary (or possible), and using ventilated covers when the furniture isn’t being used.
Sufficient ventilation is especially important during hot and/or humid summers.
How to Protect Outdoor Furniture Cushions
The best way to protect outdoor furniture cushions is to store them in a cool, dry place whenever you aren’t using them. It also helps to treat them with a waterproofing spray regularly. In doing so, you can prevent mold, mildew, or water damage from a surprise rainstorm.
Are Outdoor Cushions Water Resistant?
Some furniture sets are made from water-resistant materials, but that doesn’t mean they’re entirely waterproof. Even acrylic isn’t totally invincible to water damage and can suffer cracks, tears, and discoloration if exposed to too much moisture. Even if the manufacturer claims that the cushions are waterproof, we urge you to play it safe with treatments and proper storage.
How to Protect Outdoor Cushions from Fading
Want to know how to protect outdoor furniture cushions from fading? It can be frustrating when the bright and beautiful patterns of your new outdoor furniture quickly fade. The trick to protecting your outdoor furniture cushions is to keep them out of the sun as much as possible. Bring the cushions inside when not in use and keep them clean with our custom furniture-cleaning sprays. This will help you keep the patterns and colors of your patio furniture as lovely as the day you first bought it.
Where to Store Your Outdoor Furniture?
If you’re wondering how to protect patio furniture in winter, the best tip is to find the proper storage space. Every house has different options, but here are a few ideas:
- Shed: Mid-size pieces like ottomans or side tables can be stored in a shed for the winter.
- Bins: Bins are a great way to store outdoor furniture cushions, rugs, and other small items.
- Storage Bag: Storage bags are essential for any outdoor furniture cushions you might be storing for the season. Once the cushions are clean and dry in the bag, place them in a bin or other storage area.
- Garage: If you have room in the garage, this could be a great place to store larger items like outdoor couches and tables.
- Basement: Basements are usually dark and dry, making them a great place to store more delicate outdoor furniture pieces like natural rattan and wicker.
- Storage unit: If you don’t have the space at home, consider renting a storage unit for the season to keep your furniture safe from the elements for the winter.
- Make sure all furniture is dry before placing it in storage, and choose a storage space that won’t be susceptible to flooding or water leaks.
- Keep an eye on your furniture during the winter. Check on it once a month to make sure nothing is wet, moldy, or being damaged by rodents.
- Take off any removable pieces like umbrellas and cushions before putting items in storage.
- Clean and dust furniture before you store it away.
- Choose a temperature-controlled storage space to preserve more delicate outdoor furniture like wicker.
Remember to take special consideration before you put your outdoor furniture into a storage space. Choose a place that is free of moisture and rodents, and make sure your furniture is covered but also well-ventilated. Don’t leave your furniture in storage and only come back for it once winter is over. Check in on your furniture every month to make sure it is in good condition.