Spring cleaning means prepping your outdoor space for entertaining which can entail a thorough analysis of your current outdoor furniture. Will your current patio set last another scorching season with a little TLC and DIY, or is it time to upgrade to more modern outdoor furniture? Check out these tips to determine whether some repairs will do the trick or if it is time to purchase new patio furniture.
Normal Wear and Tear
Even the best outdoor furniture is bound to show signs of normal wear and tear from being exposed to the harsh elements and frequent use. Instances of average aging and deterioration can often be repaired with a little elbow grease which is both budget-friendly and helps your furniture withstand another summer. Some common wear and tear includes:
- Dirt & Debris. It is common for dirt and leaves to accumulate on furniture while exposed. A quick sweep with a soft-bristled brush or a good vacuum can eliminate debris.
- Stains. Water, mud, and even food spills can leave ugly stains on patio chair cushions. Use a detergent, dishwashing liquid solution, or even invest in an outdoor furniture cleaner to gently scrub out stains and pat dry. Avoid harsh chemicals and consult the manufacturer’s care labels before cleaning.
- Mold. Fabrics can accumulate mold, especially in very moist climates. Always wear gloves to sand or scrub out the mold and dispose of used supplies.
- Chipping Paint. No need to throw out furniture losing its color, make it brand new furniture with a coat of spray paint. If you’re tired of the furniture or if it’s outdated, now is the time to invest in a more modern outdoor furniture set which is certain to enhance and revitalize your outdoor space.
- Faded and Torn Fabric. Solar rays can fade fabric and years of breakdown can lead to holes and tears. Reupholstering old chairs with new fabric is made simple with new fabric and a staple gun.
Taking care to preserve and protect your furniture every year will prevent initial damage and expand the life of your furniture.
When it is Time to Replace
Though the internet offers a plethora of videos and solutions for fixing damaged furniture, sometimes it is beyond repair. Some aspects to be aware of:
- Safety Hazards. When broken mechanisms, sharp metal edges, and splinter-laden areas are too much to repair, it is time to ditch the furniture. Safety should be a priority for you, your family, and your guests.
- Quality. Cheap sets from big-box stores that need repairing, which happens often due to their mediocre quality, may not be worth the time and effort the repairs required.
- Cost of Repairs. When the cost of restoring your patio set costs close to or more than a new set, it is time to let it go and invest in a new set.
Best Time to Purchase Patio Furniture
When it comes time to upgrade worn out furniture, now is the time to update your furniture. Create an outdoor space which is inviting and fun, space where you want to hang out and entertain guests in.
Remember whether you’re looking to start designing your outdoor space or just wanting to upgrade your patio, investing in quality materials and taking measures to protect your furniture from the elements can help your set avoid damage and last longer.